Ahhh Pizza. Pizza has found a special spot in my heart lately. Every Sunday Jose and I make it a point to have a homemade pizza. We typically do the traditional marinara, cheese and half pepperoni half peppers. Peppers for me, because Jose despises anything green. Ok, that’s not completely true, but compared to me it’s pretty true. This week we’re trying something new: Strawberry Balsamic Pizza! SO GOOD.
I’m going to go ahead and say it: It’s so good because of the mozzarella. Because, cheese. Also because the strawberry balsamic reduction blew my mind. You should know by now that I’m not much of a cook, so when I tasted this I was kinda impressed that I just did that. It’s the perfect combination of tangy and sweet. Yum!
- 1 cup fresh Florida strawberries, sliced
- 1 ball whole wheat pizza dough
- 10-12 thinly sliced fresh mozzarella cheese
- fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup walnuts
Balsamic Strawberry Reduction:
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 cup fresh Florida strawberries, diced
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a small pot mix the balsamic vinegar and brown sugar, bring to a boil, reduce, and let it cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add the strawberries and let it cook for about 5-6 minutes.
- In a pan, dry roast the walnuts until fragrant.
- Lightly flour your surface and roll your pizza dough into a 10-12 inch circle.
- Cover your sheet pan with parchment paper and transfer the rolled dough onto the parchment paper, drizzle some balsamic reduction over the dough. Follow with the fresh mozzarella and walnuts.
- Arrange the strawberries and bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes.
- Once it’s done scatter fresh basil over pizza and drizzle remaining balsamic sauce.
There you have it! Strawberry Balsamic Pizza topped with the goods – mozzarella and basil. Sounds like such an odd combination, but I promise it’s delicious!
If you give it a try I would love to know if you liked it!
recipe adapted from Fresh From Florida